Sunday, February 14, 2010

Defense of Valentine's Day


I LOVE Valentine's Day :) Even when I didn't have a significant other, I would go out with girlfriends and give people that I cared about cards. On this day, I hear a lot of people say that it is a dumb holiday, only for card companies and that you should treat your significant other with affection all year around or you shouldn't be dating them... blah blah blah. Hear is my defense of Valentine's Day: The history of Valentine's Day is a really interesting one (I just looked it up). The short story is -Way back when, the emperor of Rome outlawed all marriages and a priest named Valentine performed secret marriages. He was found out and beheaded for his crime. I know that is morbid but the point is: LOVE is important in all its forms, it was so important that a priest was martyred because he believed in it. Marriage is an outward celebration of love to the world and so that is the easiest target. I do agree that you should treat your significant other with love every day but we all live busy lives and do not have the time or money to give gifts, go on dates, or spend an entire day concentrated only on the one we love. Life unfortunately just doesn't work like that (though I wish it did) Since we don't have the time or money to do that every day, it is awesome to have a day set aside as a symbol of love. The idea that Valentine's day is dumb because we should do it everyday is like saying we shouldn't celebrate Christmas because we should remember Christ everyday... well of course we should! We all know the daily struggles of our lives and how easy it is to get distracted. The reason we have holidays is to bring us back to remember what is truly important :)
Ok now since I am done with my soapbox, my Valentine's day was awesome :) Daniel came down on Friday night and we went out in Clemson. That is always a great time! Yesterday, we went to Greenville, spent the day there just enjoying each others company. Daniel got us a hotel for the night so we got ready and went to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner. Unfortunately, the meal wasn't good and we sent it back twice. That is really weird because we have been to this restaurant three times before and got the same thing ... Finally, we ordered something else and had an awesome time. We went to the movies and say Valentine's Day. It was a great movie (even Daniel liked it ... though not sure if he'd admit it). This morning we had room service breakfast which has become our new V-day tradition (last year we spent a weekend in DC and had breakfast). Today we have been hanging out and doing wedding stuff, right now he is working on the invitation wording and getting the correct addresses :) All in all great weekend spent with my favorite person :)

Fav Love Quote: "If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around."

No comments:

Post a Comment